I will receive commission on any sales made on my blog. To learn more, read my disclosure policy.
We all know that a picture is worth a thousand words, but what about the words that make the pictures? They are important, too.
Who doesn’t like to read your child a story that shows them the difference between being mean and being kind? Who doesn’t like reading a book to your child that has some learning involved into it? Everyone, right?
I enjoy a lot of picture books, especially those who have breathe-taking art and correlating stories. Thankfully, having a three-year old brother gives me the opportunity to read a bunch of them. He has to be read to at every nap. Without it, he fusses, and takes a lot longer to fall asleep…
Have you ever read a picture book that gets you choked up? How about one that makes you add it to your “favorites” list? I’ve had several of those…
My top 10 children’s authors (picture books):
- Robert McCloskey – Blueberries for Sal & Make Way for Ducklings
- Tricia Gardella – Blackberry Booties
- Jennie Bishop – The Princess and the Kiss & The Squire and the Scroll
- Jean Craighead George – The Eagles are Back & MORE (She has a lot of nature books, more than I could list…)
- Angela Elwell Hunt – The Tale of Three Trees
- Jim Arnosky – Grandfather Buffalo & Crinkleroot Series
- Watty Piper – The Little Engine that Could
- Marjorie Flack – The Story About Ping
- Robert Munsch – Love You Forever
- David McPhail – Edward and the Pirates & Edward in the Jungle
All of these books by my favorite children’s authors have been family favorites. I remember when I was young always reading books by Jim Arnosky; so many nature books. My favorite by far is the book, written by Robert Munsch, Love You Forever. So many memories of my grandma and I sitting together reading this book are still quite vivid.
What is your favorite picture book to read to your children?I will receive commission on any sales made on my blog. To learn more, read my disclosure policy.