I will receive commission on any sales made on my blog. To learn more, read my disclosure policy.
One of the hardest things for me is finding all year round gifts ideas for pre-teen boys that are past the die-cast car and lego phase. When they are young it is super simple to find something that they will love and cherish for a couple years, but as they enter teen-hood…those things just aren’t as “cool” as they used to be.
I love shopping for my brothers, the youngest is still in the car and lego phase, but the other two are a young adult and teenager. It makes shopping for them a lot harder, because I have to think of something that will teach them a skill or encourage them in their passions. Unfortunately, my brothers passions have very expensive gift ideas, so I have to be creative.
My process for finding gifts for the two older brothers is normally me just asking myself a lot of questions. Weird, I know. Here are some of the most asked questions that I ask myself around birthday and Christmas every year….
- What are their current passions?
- Is there something they have been talking about lately that encourages growth in their passions or education?
- Has there been something they really want and can’t stop talking about?
- Can this be a forever passion or just a phase?
- Will this encourage them in their manhood?
- Are they working on any particular skill?
- Do they need any tools to help them learn more of their dream skill/passion?
Really deep questions, right? Gift-giving is a very important love language for me, so I think about it very seriously. I don’t want to give frivolous gifts that will be useless to them and eventually end up in the garbage. I want gifts that will encourage them or develop a skill that they are blessed with. (Disclaimer: my mom only gave gifts that enhanced our God-given gifts or encouraged us in a skill/passion, so this is where I learned it from).
Fun (and meaningful) gift ideas for pre-teen boys:
Let him be the man God made him to be…
“The Lord is My Strength” Pocket Knife
Airsoft Pistol with Holster
Binoculars with Camera
Tool Box & Set
MP3 Player Kindle
Let him wear truth…
Clothing & Accessories:
“My Life Guard Walks on Water” Sweatshirt
“John 3:16” Sweatshirt
“Armed & Dangerous” T-shirt
“The Lord’s Army” T-shirt
“One Way…Jesus” Hat
“God’s Army” Hat
“Hope, Renew, Soar” Backpack
“On Wings Like Eagles”
Personalized Money Clip,Black with Cross
Soldier of the Cross Bible Cover
Books of encouragement:
- Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations
- Start Right Here: Doing Hard Things Right Where You Are
- Kingdom Series, Vol 1-6
- Sir Malcolm and the Missing Prince
What else would you add to this list?